HARRIS COUNTY, GA IS FILLED WITH BEAUTIFUL, HISTORIC BUILDINGS AND DISTRICTS
Harris County, GA has a rich and varied history. From the days of Spanish and French conquests in the 1700s, to the official naming in 1827, the area’s diverse influences resonate today.
Buildings and architecture are another aspect of Harris County, GA’s unique history. The area has 16 properties listed in the National Register of Historic Places. The best part is that you can visit many of these buildings and districts today. Some of my favorite historical settings include:
Located in Hamilton, the Harris County Courthouse was built in 1908 by architect Edward Columbus Hosford. It was one of several courthouses that Hosford built in Georgia, Florida, and Texas.
The courthouse was built in a classical style and experienced its most significant period between 1900 to 1924. The building was added to the National Register of Historic Places on September 18, 1980.
Built in 1885, the Langdale Historic District spans both Harris County and Valley, Alabama. The architecture consists of both craftsman style bungalow and colonial revival influences.
Two of the more famous buildings in the district include the Langdale Mill and the Horace King Memorial Covered Bridge. The city has recently began plans to revitalize and redevelop the historic mills in the area. The Langdale Mill is especially appealing due to its proximity downtown, and may be redeveloped into a commercial, residential and recreational mixed property.
The area experienced its most significant period from 1866 to 1962 before the mills shut down and thousands of jobs were lost. The Langdale Historic District was added to the NRHP on November 12th, 1999.
3. PINE MOUNTAIN STATE PARK / F.D. ROOSEVELT STATE PARK
Formerly named Pine Mountain State Park, this 9,000 acre state park named after the former President was built in 1934. It’s the largest state park in Georgia, featuring over 40 miles of hiking trail, including 23 miles on Pine Mountain.
The park is historically known as the place where President Roosevelt came to treat his paralysis (his favorite picnic spot was at Dowdell’s Knob overlooking the valley).
Many of the structures were built during the Great Depression and feature the architectural style from that period. It was added to the NRHP on September 25th, 1997.
The park currently holds events including bingo and trail walks.
The Sunnyside School-Midway Baptist Church and Midway Cemetery Historic District was built in 1921 and spans 8 acres. Similar to Harris County, GA, its history spans back to the 1700s. The area played a role in the Revolutionary War, and its history can be seen at the Midway Museum.
The district is known for their distinctive Bungalow/craftsmen style buildings. It was added to the NRHP on September 9th, 1999.